Thursday, April 19, 2012

Editorial of the Day: Girls

Photos: Tess, Sophie and Michelle S by Robert Harper for Playing Fashion April 2012
When I first saw this editorial, it reminded me of the new HBO show Girls. I had the, uh, pleasure of watching it on Monday and it was OK. I didn't hate it, but I'm not sure if I like it either. Let me just stop the speculation right now by saying this is not Sex and the City. It's not glamorous and the characters don't have such strong personality traits that they're all basically parts of one woman. Also, you won't hear anyone say, "Swear on Chanel," on Girls. It'd be more like, "Swear on The Great Gatsby."

Since there's no mention of Chanel, the clothing aesthetic is different from Sex and the City. When you're a twenty-something, money's too tight to even think about designer labels. The show focuses more on incorporating trends, like pleated skirts, with sort of outdated apparel because the characters probably cannot afford to buy an entirely new wardrobe every season. All the outfits in this editorial are on trend, but the tone of the photos and the way the clothes fit the models are very similar to how they do things on the show. It's put together, but you won't turn any heads walking down the street.

Did you watch Girls? What did you think?









No comments:

Post a Comment