Thursday, November 29, 2012

Editorial: Garrett Hedlund in Vogue


It's time for a shameful confession—I've never read On the Road by Jack Kerouac. In fact, I haven't read too many American classics. In high school I was in IB and that meant we didn't read much American literature (We read enough for me to fall in love with Toni Morrison after reading "Sula," though.) and I sort of specialized in African-American literature and drama in college when I minored in English. I think the only book that can be considered an American classic that I've read is Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

What I have done is watch Country Strong at least four times and not because I like country music.  (I mean, I'll listen to Taylor Swift and a little Carrie Underwood, but that's so pop it's barely country at this point.) It's because Garrett Hedlund is good in his role and he's definitely easy on the eyes. I can only expect he'll bring the same thing to the film version of On the Road, which he's promoting with this photo shoot. Hedlund's always struck me as a very rugged man, so I love how they didn't try to primp him or go too stylized. 

At its heart this is just a very great editorial depiction of what helped define the Beats without traveling too far from Vogue's aesthetic.



images source

No comments:

Post a Comment